Friday, September 15, 2006

Just subtract 1

I'm amazed at the number of people that are surprised by the Wii's $249 price. I never thought it would be anything else, because of a simple rule that has never steered me wrong: when a company says it will release a product below a certain price, it means it will cost $1 less than that price. So when USA Today, in August, said that it had confirmed the Wii would sell for under $250 in North America, I knew it would be $249. Hey, if it was going to be $199, why wouldn't Reggie say under $200? Of course he would. Hence, $249.

3 comments:

Ashley Terry said...

that is a really great rule of thumb. People are all about being sneaky these days, huh?!

Why don't you post more?! I thought for sure you would have said something about the iphone by now...sheesh!!!

Alicia said...

Your blog is a farce.

Sara said...

Yes, I have heard of (and seen) the interrobang. I think you were the first person who mentioned it to me, though . . . It is great, but very odd-looking. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet.

Also, since I've had to learn AP style, I'm forgetting some MLA and Chicago style. Can you tell me how many spaces normally go after the colon? One or two? I can't believe I can't remember. :(

Thanks for commenting on my Punctuation Day post, by the way. I wondered if YOU would. You would. ;)